As part of the second Citizens’ Initiative project, we have implemented 15 initiatives in various parts of Poland. The project covered 12 communes, located in 6 provinces.
The aim of the project was to improve the natural environment with the involvement of local communities.
Project implementation period: August 2016 – June 2018
Initiatives have been divided into three main thematic areas:
WATER MANAGEMENT (rain gardens and small retention)
- Silesian rain gardens – an initiative consisting in the creation of two rain gardens in the ground in Katowice (see photos);
- Rain garden in Lublin, near a residential building located on a slope (see photos);
- Rain pack – two gardens in a box near buildings in Katowice (see photos);
- While creating rain gardens in Piła, we manage rainwater – creating a retention basin in Piła that will prevent flooding of the area;
- For generations, for the sake of nature, we support water retention! – creation of a retention basin with hydrophyte vegetation in Piła;
Biodiversity in the pond – revitalisation and development of the pond basin in the Zapolice commune.
GREENING AND UNSEALING
- Rowanberry Kors – planting a row of trees (66 rowan trees) on the street in Marki;
- Uncovering the city – unsealing the area covered with slabs around an unused sandbox and transforming it into a garden in Skawina;
- Zielona Góra – the first vertical garden – creation of a vertical garden, a green wall on the building of the University of Zielona Góra;
- A small estate park – the creation of green area in the place of a lawn in Opole – 15 trees (apples, bird cherry and bushes) and 40 bushes, among which there are hawthorn, dogwood, spirea or rose.
SUPPORTING THE POLLINATORS
- Revitalization of the area around the regional chamber in Łętownia – reclamation of the degraded area and creation of a melliferous garden (see photos);
- Herb and flower herbage – reclaiming wasteland (compacted soil) and establishing a herbal and flower meadow in Paprotnia in the Zapolice commune;
- Krakow helps the bees! – creation of a green area with melliferous plants and houses for pollinating insects;
- Green oasis – bushes friendly to birds and pollinating insects – increasing biodiversity in the housing estate, planting honey plants in Siemianowice Śląskie;
- Herbal corner – increasing biodiversity in Rudna and Tenczynek – creating two herbal corners, using honey plants.