The project Climate Mitigation through Nature-Based Solutions in Urban Poland (Climate NBS Poland) realised by the Sendzimir Foundation in partnership with the Ecologic Institute from Berlin from October 2018 till November 2020 thanks to funding from GIZ on behalf of the government of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Its aim is to disseminate nature-based solutions (NBS) in cities.
- building awareness of how NBS can contribute to climate change mitigation in urban areas;
- increasing the knowledge and skills of city officials, local government employees, planners and landscape architects in the field of design and implementation of NBS in Polish cities.
Publications about NBS
As part of the project, two practical publications were developed:
- catalog of NBS recommended for implementation in Polish cities;
- guidelines and recommendations on policies and incentives supporting the implementation of NBS in Polish cities.
Training programs in the field of NBS
On the basis of the developed materials, training programs were created for city officials and designers of blue and green infrastructure:
- NBS design training in cities (5 training days, 3 editions);
- training on tools and methods for popularizing NBS implementation in Polish cities (2 training days, 3 editions);
- online training on practical aspects of NBS implementation and design in Polish cities (two editions).
Study visit in Berlin – good practice of NBS implementation
Representatives of Polish city managers took part in a study visit in Berlin, where they have learnt practical aspects of implementing blue-green infrastructure for mitigating climate change.
This project [Climate NBS] is part of the European Climate Initiative (EUKI) of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU). It is the overarching goal of the EUKI to foster climate cooperation within the European Union (EU) in order to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions.
Consultation workshop with representatives from Polish municipalities (March 2019, Warsaw)